
Brennan was like a little kid at Christmas when we finally arrived in Marseille. Although it had been more than a year since he lived here, he literally ran from place to place showing us "his" city. We had to go to the train station and replay his first day here. We rode the escalators up to the top and came out the same doors he had so we could see the view above - what Brennan saw when he got his very first view of Marseille.

He wanted to park the car and ride the metro. He wanted to walk the area of what Dave called "scary ville", and show us where he had lived, where he first met Isabelle, telling us stories about what happened on this corner or that building. He was so excited to be back!

And there were some pretty things about Marseille. The "old harbor" was cool, there were big cargo ships, cruise ships, and these smaller fishing boats docked here. The giant building way off in the background is the Notre Dame de la Garde, a Catholic basilica. You could see if from anywhere in Marseille.

And look what we found on docks. A fish wife! When Dave pointed her out to me I was pleasantly surprised. I think she's cute! These women were selling fresh fish on the harbor that their "men" had caught.

But Marseille had been mostly destroyed in World War II and then rebuilt afterward, so it didn't have the old French charm that the other villes we visited had. Here is a bit of an old wall that was left when the war ended. They just built the new buildings right around it.

Here is what Bren called "the Touchdown Statue" and he wanted a picture of it, so I made he and Drew do a touchdown pose with the statue. Don't they look enthused?

Bren took us on a hike in Marseille and it was a fun and pretty hike through a forest of trees and rocks with the ocean always within our view.

He commented that he wished Marseille was in the United States so he could live here. I said, "Really? I guess I don't get it. I'm just not that impressed." Bren said, "Yea, President Merrill (his mission president) didn't like Marseille, either. He said it was too wicked." I said, "Maybe it's the people that make it a great place to be." "Maybe," he said, "but for me, I think it's like Gotham City. It's worth saving."
2 comments:
What a beautiful city...kind of nice having your own private tour guide!
That's funny. Just like Brennan to "adopt" a whole city and want to "save" it. That last picture is pretty cool. Looks like a pretty cool place to me!
Post a Comment