Saturday, March 4, 2017

More Negative Space and Black and White

 Black and White is a challenge for me because I love color.  Most always, if given a choice between a black and white image or a colored one, I will choose color.  So usually it's hard for me to find a photo that I think would look good converted to black and white.  These two, above and below, were two I thought would look good converted.  The above photo of Capri, except for her Troll shoes, could have been taken in the black and white era of the fifties.  A little girl shoveling, the Desoto in the background.  She's helping Aiden and I fill up our rain gutters with dirt so we can plant pea seeds in them.  A gardening experiment we're trying . . . .
And this picture of Capri resting on her shovel also converted to black and white nicely.  At least, I thought so.  Below, the light on half of Capri's face made a nice black and white image.  She's showing off her "fish face".  I wish you could see that cute upper lip moving up and down in true "fish face" fashion.  It's adorable!!  
 I also worked a little  more on negative space, since I really didn't understand it before.  The picture of Aiden below enveloped in smoke is a good example of negative space, I think.  It reminds me of Garth Brook's song, Standing Outside The Fire. :)  I'm thinking, "Thank goodness he's standing outside the fire"
 And this photo with a burst of sunlight in the background is a good shot using negative space.  These were both taken in Jill and Kenny's back yard when they built an illegal bonfire to burn weeds, limbs and their Christmas Tree.  As Capri said, "Aiden, burn our Christmas Tree so we can get a new one!"  Gotta get rid of the old one before you can get a new one.

It's so nice having these kids next door for me to practice taking pictures of.  And I think they like my food, so it's a good trade.

No comments: