Tuesday, December 25, 2012

I Love Christmas

I can't help it, as hard as I try not to, I just love Christmas.  For years I've tried to match Dave's unexcitement for all things Christmas.  Just this year as we were putting lights on the house - for YEARS I put up the lights myself because Dave could not see the point in it - he said, "Good thing you're here because I just wouldn't bother with lights at Christmas."  So, good thing I'm here :) 
  That's Brennan with his awkward smile and his girlfriend, Emma on Christmas morning. It was a quiet Christmas morning.  We stayed up late playing games and for the first year EVER, Dave and I were the first ones up.
 Later in the morning Drew and Kara came with Kara's brothers and sister. When Kara saw the Prime Rib, she said, Oooh, we should have fry bread!  So she and Kari whipped some up.  It was delish!!!  I had intended to make rolls, but fry bread was the perfect addition to our meal.  And these girls know how to make fry bread!!




 Here is our Prime Rib.  I am not a prime rib fan, but many people in my house are, so I make it at Christmas.  Here is my no fail method.  I make a rub of Kosher salt, pepper and minced garlic and rub it all over the prime rib.  Then I put it in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes and then turn the oven off and let it sit inside without opening the oven door!! for a couple of hours until we are almost ready to eat.  Then I turn the oven back on 375 and cook it for 45 minutes more.  Then I take it out and let it sit for 15 minutes while the juice settles, and walla!!  Perfect Prime Rib.  It works every time. I also cooked a roast in the crock pot for extra meat, for gravy drippings, and for those of us who like their beef well done.  Me!!
Drew spiking the punch with Sparkling Cherry soda.  He used to comb his hair when he lived with me.
Here we are waiting in anticipation for Dave to come home so we could eat!!  Not that we were hungry, we had been snacking on cheese logs and crackers and chips and salsa all morning.  But still . . . .
Turns out, it was Kari's birthday today.  She is 19 :)  Luckily, I made brownies for brownie sundays, so we stuck in some candles and sang Happy Birthday to Kari.






 As I sit here at 4:30 on a wonderful Christmas afternoon, snow covering the ground outside, the warmth of a blazing fire nearby, and contemplate the wonderful feelings of this day, my heart is full.  I am so blessed with comfort, family, friends and the gospel - all things that fill my life and make it complete.  And as this Christmas day comes to a close I hope I can keep the feelings that are in my heart right now.  The feelings of Christmas.  I love it!!!










No comments: