Today a coworker had to take his newborn baby to the
hospital because his three year old boy tried to pick him up while his mother’s
back was turned and dropped him. The baby is
fine, but it reminded me of a story, and I came to a realization this morning that I need to
start writing these down. As I remembered them. Because whatever it was I was remembering this morning is already gone from my memory. So here is the first
of my “instant remembrance” posts.
When Jill was just a new born, she couldn’t have been more
than two or three weeks old, and Kyle
was only two, I went out to help Dave set a septic tank. Dave worked alone back then, he didn’t have
any employees, and quite often I got roped into helping him when he just had to
have two people. The septic tank was
cement, and he had the bottom set in the hole already, he just needed me to help him set
the top. There was a ridge around the
top of the bottom where cement was poured and the bottom of the top (confused
yet?) fit into the ridge and the cement
would “glue” it on. So I left Kyle and
Jill in the little white Toyota truck that we were driving way back then, and went over
the hill of dirt Dave had dug and proceeded to hold the top half of the septic tank steady in
the sling while Dave was in the backhoe trying to set it on the top of the bottom before the
cement in the little ridge dried. The
wind was blowing and making the septic tank top sway enough that we were having
trouble getting it set. All the sudden
Kyle came up over the hill yelling for me.
I stopped and went over to see what he needed, and he said, “The baby
(Jill) is crying.” I told him I would
only be a few minutes, not to worry about it, just go back and talk to her and
I would be right there. It was probably
another five or ten minutes, which seemed like an eternity to me now that I knew my
baby was crying in the truck, but finally we got the top set and I hurried to
the truck to take care of Jill. When I
got there, she was just lying there quietly and Kyle was reading a book. I said, “Oh, look what a good big brother you
are. You made her stop crying.” And Kyle said, “yeah, I fed her a pine nut.” GASP
Sure enough, a few days later when I was changing her diaper, there were
the pieces of a broken pine nut shell.
Minus the nut.
2 comments:
What?! You always said it was me that Kyle fed the pine nut too. Glad to hear it was really Jill he tried to choke! :)
I hope you keep writing more of these stories.
By the way... What co-worker has a newborn?
Haha! Yeah, I think I remember hearing this story before.
Post a Comment