Saturday, March 1, 2014

Not For Sale

I'm not much into selfies, and I have a most unattractive hand, (but I'm not trading in it because it's my Dad's hand) so this was somewhat out of my comfort zone. But a smart, talented lady I admire and whom I am currently taking a photography class from brought this to my attention today, and I couldn't let it just slide by. 

I have ranted against very few things in my life, especially on my blog, which I usually reserve for family posts and photos. But once in a while I realize that I can't go on claiming to have faith in God, wearing my CTR (Choose The Right) ring, and do nothing to try and change what is evil in the world.  I don't know much about this issue, except that human beings have always enslaved other human beings, but I really thought that, in the United States, at least, that ended with emancipation.  Apparently I was wrong and millions of people are still being used as slaves.  And that is just wrong.  But worse, many, if not most of those millions are innocent children.  And that is more than wrong. 

This is near to my heart because, but for a few hundred years, I have grandchildren that could very likely have been slaves.  Beautiful, smart, wonderful children that, a hundred years ago, would have been counted as 3/5ths of a human being.  And it took a war to overcome that kind of thinking.

In a book I am currently reading, "The Storyteller" by Jodie Picoult, one character, Sage, says, "Can you blame the Nazi who was born into an anti-Semitic country and given an anti-Semitic education, who then grows up and slaughters five thousand Jews?  Yes. Yes you can."  Evil is evil, no matter how you paint it, and nothing changes if we are unaware that a change needs to be made.  Here is a link to my photography teacher's weblog where you can learn more.  http://www.karenrussell.typepad.com/   

No comments: