Actually I did finish this book, but it was the first book I read, so I hadn't learned my "you don't have to finish a bad book" lesson yet. I did not enjoy it and would never recommend it to anyone else. While the story is really good, the time period interesting, the descriptions of the building of cathedrals intriguing, I found the play by play depiction of the raping and pillaging too vivid for me. It was disturbing and left me feeling anxious and uneasy. I wish he had focused more on the story and less on describing every detail of a rape or torture.
Michelle warned me about Anna Karenina, but it is a classic and one of my self set guidelines was to read some of the classics. Not this one. It is a long book, and I made it about half way through, but the characters are boring, they each have about six different Russian names, so it's impossible to keep them straight, and the story is like reading every tiresome detail of someone's daily journal. The book opens with the affair of one of the characters and centers around the affair of two others. I found nothing uplifting in the 1/2 of the book I read. At this point, I don't think I'm going to try and finish it.
I had hoped this book would be similar to "Three Weeks With My Brother", by Nicholas Sparks, which I found delightful, but the little I read of Eat, Pray, Love just made me mad. The author, Elizabeth Gilbert is one of the most selfish people I have ever come across. That she could write a book about her self serving life and have people rave about it was amazing to me. The fact that I actually bought a copy of the book REALLY irks me. I don't know what I'm going to do with the copy I own, but I'm not going to waste my time finishing this book.
Later, when I finish my last few books, I think I'll highlight a few of my favorites. Meanwhile, I'm trying to follow Elder Oaks advice in his talk, "Good, Better, Best" when he said " . . it is good to view wholesome entertainment or to obtain interesting information. But not everything of that sort is worth the portion of our life we give to obtain it. Some things are better, and others are best. When the Lord told us to seek learning, He said, “Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom”. My attempt is to find those that are best.
3 comments:
Oh, I'm so glad that I am not alone. The first book I haven't even heard of. The second, Anna Karenina, was really boring and bad. I don't even think I made it half-way. And, Eat, Pray, Love... didn't you read my review on GoodReads before you bought it?? I have a copy too that I don't know what to do with. I have never met a more selfish person in all my life (thank heavens). I liked the parts about the food in Italy, and that is it! :) Hope you finish your goal!
The terrible thing about Anna Karenina is that Kimberly had to read it in her AP English class and hated it. She asked, "Why is all classic literature have to be about adultery?" I told her that at least she can learn from the dire consequences (I think she ends up throwing herself in front of a train) and that, at least, will keep her from repeating the same mistake!
Actually, the worst book ever (I won't give you the title!) was one that Scott was required to read for English here in Rome at a Catholic International school! After reading the back cover, he brought it to me and said, "I don't think you'll want me to read this." I agreed. I decided to read it and outline exactly why (with examples from the book) that no one, especially not children! should be reading this book. The nun (sister) who I spoke to agreed, as she didn't even know the book was required. Needless to say, all future seniors at that school won't have to read it -- it's officially off the list!
Post a Comment