Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Removable Flash And How It Transformed Me

When I was asked to take pictures at our Ward Christmas party, I knew it was time to get that removable flash for my camera that I had been putting off for years.  I was nervous about trying to learn one more thing when I was so overwhelmed with what I was already trying to learn about photography, but now it was time to bite the bullet.  So, Dave got me a flash for my birthday.  Actually, it was several weeks after my birthday, but that's how we roll.  And then, I did everything I could to control the situation.  I offered to decorate the room so I would be comfortable with what was there and in charge of where we were placing Santa.  I went down the night before to practice bouncing the flash, trying it off the walls and off the ceiling.  While I was practicing, Santa walked in :)  so he sat in the chair I had in place for him and let me practice on him.  I was in as much control as I could be.  And it ended up working out great! 
These are Traci Carling's cute little boys.  Even though they were moving around some, they are still in focus - yay!!  (I have focus issues :(  )
It ended up working out best to bounce the flash off the ceiling slightly behind me.  With a diffuser over the flash.  Our Santa made the comment when I was trying out the pictures the night before that many times the pictures people take of him turn out kind of yellow.  He was impressed to see that these didn't.  He even asked me for copies of some :)
Now I use that flash ALL THE TIME!  Especially on indoors shots.  I used to not bother to take pictures inside because they would always be blurry.  But not with my handy flash!!  This cute picture I took of Charlie trying to use the plug end of a string of lights as a hammer on her toy was taken without a flash.  I had plenty of light from the big window behind her.  But that is not always the case at my house.
This evening Capri was playing outside on the digger.  The sun was down and it was getting dark, so I just set my camera aside thinking I wouldn't get any pictures tonight.  Then I remembered THE FLASH!  For this one I bounced the light off the side of the garage . . .
And for this one I bounced it off the cement from below.  I am a flashing fool.  It has transformed my picture taking.  But fair warning, I don't pay attention to whose eyes might be blinded when my flash hits them full in the face.  Because anything goes when you're trying to get the shot :)






2 comments:

Kimbrey said...

Wow! Impressive! I love the Santa shots!

Olson Family said...

You do awesome!