Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hey, Who Pushed Me?

I'm going to start a bucket list of things I never intended to do in my life, but ended up doing anyway. And at the top of the list will be "play a piano solo in Church." I have a friend who reminds me constantly, "Carri, you always jump into things with both feet, and then, when you realize you're in over your head, you look around and ask, 'Hey, who pushed me?'" That, I guess, is how I got myself into the present situation of . . . you guessed it. I am playing a piano solo in our ward's Christmas program next Sunday. A piano solo. Me. I am not a piano solo person. I am an "accompany other people so the focus is not on me" kind of pianist. Most of the time I play while other people sing. I have played with no one singing before, but only as background music while, for instance, the Seminary graduates received their diplomas. But never have I played a solo where I am the main part of the talent, so everyone is looking at me and will notice every mistake I will make, which at this point in my practicing will be an awfully lot. So, next Sunday while you all are sitting all relaxed and easy in your own ward Sacrament Meetings listening to the great Christmas program with talks and musical numbers from people who really are talented at whatever they are performing - think of me. Because depending on how things go, I may just be moving to where you are.

On another note, just a reminder that while we are together as families this holiday season, Jayson is serving in Iraq this Christmas. Remember him as you celebrate and send a few prayers his way. And I know he'd appreciate a Christmas card or package or anything that will let him know we are thinking about him, especially at this time of year. Here is his address:


PV2 Jayson Johnson
Task Force 115 Medical
328th CSH DET 40
APO AE 09344

Merry Christmas :)

2 comments:

Olson Family said...

I would die If that was me playing the Solo! I'm sure you will do an awesome job though! Good Luck!

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Good luck with your piano solo, and thanks for Jayson's information. We will try and send him a card, even though it probably won't get there until June.