Monday, December 1, 2008

Traditions Old and New

We've never been consistent enough for traditions at our house. Just when we think we've got one going, somehow, through no fault of our own, it comes to an end. But this is one that I plan, by treachery or trickery, to keep going. The after Thanksgiving washing of the dishes.


I know it was because my birthday fell on Thanksgiving this year, but seeing these three - one man and two little boys - doing the Thanksgiving dishes together is a sight I plan on seeing again. And not just because that means I have less work to do. Look at the bonding going on here. The "are you sure this is how you do it Papa?" teaching moments. Porter carrying on as if he does the dishes every day, both boys soaked from head to toe, the floor a virtual pool of water. Yes, a tradition worth keeping, I think.

And by next year we'll be adding little Chase, who was a little too young to stand on a chair this year, but just old enough to enjoy pajama tramping.


The old traditions? Hunting Christmas trees. We have been going to Huntington for our trees for a few years now, and even though the rest of the family petered out on us this year, we sojourned to Huntington and the fam. that was there watched us get OUR trees. No pics of this excursion, though, because I was, well, busy hunting my Christmas tree. Just in case you're wondering, we had a fun weekend.

1 comment:

Ellen James said...

OH my gosh... is that really Dave doing dishes? I have never seen anything like that in my life. Wow, I'm impressed.

And, Happy late Birthday! :)