Saturday, January 17, 2009

Over Achiever or Insecure?

During the Christmas holidays Dave spoke in Church. I don't think even my kids who were there picked up the underlying message intended for me in that talk, though he mentioned having to be careful with what he said because he wanted dinner later on. See, for several years I served as the stake young women's president and, by default, Dave got to help me with events on many occasions. One that he will never let me forget was building the ark. We used to have what was called "Girls Day", a day long event that included speakers, workshops, crafts, entertainment, and lunch. There was always a theme for Girls Day and this particular one was "To Build An Ark." The idea was to get the young women thinking about and preparing for their future and we had such workshops as financial planning, working out of your home, motherhood as a career, etc. We needed to decorate the gym where lunch and the program would be, and I thought it would be cool to have an ark as part of the decorations. Now I'll admit, we went a little overboard. I'm not sure, but this ark could very well have been the exact dimentions of the original ark that Noah built. It was all out of cardboard, many, many flattened out cardboard boxes duct taped together on the back and ark was painted on the front. The problem was it ended up being so big we couldn't just tape it up to the wall as we intended doing. We had to hang it from the ceiling, which was where Dave came in. By the way, there's Jill laying down in front with her Doc Martin sandals on, which was all she ever wore back then.
It did take a lot of time, but as the girls left to go to their various workshops, they actually boarded the ark. How cool, huh? Now, in my mind the ark was a memory jog for those young women who were there. Years later they might think back and remember that ark, and when they did, it would bring to their minds the things they learned that day.
This was just one of many projects Dave has been roped in to in the course of my service in the church and and several times he has asked me, "Why are we doing this again?" I would say, "Because this is going the extra mile. THIS is what is going to get us into the Celestial kingdom." "OH!" he replied, "THIS is? Well, we'd better keep working then." And work on it we would without another word until Elder Holland's talk Good, Better, Best in General Conference. Since then Dave has subtily brought up the ark on several occasions.


Last Sunday I took these to Relief Society and handed them out as part of my lesson on the parable of the Leaven. When I walked in with 32 loaves of bread, my friend Rhodelle said, "That's it. You are an overachiever and are grounded from teaching." I'm older and wiser than I was back in the ark days, and I know now what drives me. It's my insecurities. If the lesson is terrible and boring, at least everyone gets to go home with a loaf of bread. What I don't know is how to stop. Or the answer to this question, do I need to stop? Is my overdoing it really hurting anybody? Is it helping anyone? Or is this the kind of thing that is "good" and there are "better" and "best" things I could be doing? It's a thought that has been eating at me lately, and I would really like to know.

5 comments:

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

There may not necessarily be best things for you to do, but I'm pretty sure there are better things you could do than bake 32 loaves of bread! You really are insane! I'm insecure, but oh my goodness!

By the way-Rhodelle? Do you mean Rhondelle?

Moab Cozzens said...

They were mini loaves - and yes, I did mean Rhondelle. By the way, you were supposed to say "Yes, I do think back on that ark and remember every good thing I learned and it helped me a lot.

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Hurting anybody? I doubt it. Good, better, best? Sounds like a personal question as to whether there are better things out there with your time, but in my opinion, along with all the other good that these things accomplish- spending your time doing something for others will show them that you love them, and that, I think, is pretty important. (sorry for the major run on sentence there :)

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Yeah, it's true. I do think back on that girl's day (along with all the others) with very fond memories. That was a very fun day. It wouldn't have been the same without that gigantic cardboard ark.

The Acerson Family said...

I think you're amazing and perfectly wonderful. I think most of us Cozzens girls have the same gene -- which I think is perfectly fine -- unless you want to argue that the resulting lack of sleep causes alzheimers -- or at the very least forgetfulness! But I do feel sorry for our innocent husbands who are invariably pulled into these projects. Someone should have warned them before they married us! I say keep doing what you're doing -- especially when it is used to help others remember the message of the lesson or activity. Reminds me of when we created a secret garden in the church gym for New Beginnings (theme: sowing our seeds) complete with a bird bath/fish pond with live gold fish. It was great -- until the gold fish starting flinging themselves onto the floor during the program! I also enlisted poor Jeff's help in creating a "harvest" complete with wooden vegetable stands we borrowed from an outdoor market, bales of hay, corn stalks, etc. (theme: gathering the harvest) and the stake president (after peeking in and shaking his head) told us (after allowing it to go on) that we had broken every rule possible except for having open flame. Ooops! But I don't think those YW will soon forget the message -- and they knew that if we went to that much work for them, that we must love them. Don't you think?