One of Kimbrey's suggestions for this blog was to share family recipes, which I thought was a great idea, so here is my favorite desert to make in the fall. Especially if you love pumpkin pie but you really just want the taste of pumpkin pie without going to all the work of making pie crust, etc. This recipe was published in the Children's Friend in 1986, and I've been making it every fall since then. It's quick and easy, very tasty, and best of all, it makes your house smell . . .well, like fall is here! I usually only make this desert once a year since I end up eating most of it myself, but this year I made it twice. Once a few weeks ago when Kimbrey, Daniel and Chase were visiting, and again Friday night just so I could fall asleep with that delicious smell in my head. Try it!!
Pumpkin Squares
Crust
1 box (18.5 oz/524 g) yellow cake mix (reserve one cup for topping)
1 egg
1/2 cup melted butter
Filling
2 eggs
1 large can (30 oz/850g) pumpkin
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
Topping
1 cup yellow cake mix
1/4 cup softened butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Mix crust ingredients together; press into greased 9″ x 12″ (23 cm x 30 cm) pan.
2. Stir filling ingredients together, and pour on top of crust.
3. Using fork, combine topping ingredients, then sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° F (175° C) for 45–50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
4 comments:
I am so glad you posted that recipe. I found one similar to it one the internet to put in our RS newsletter for this month because you weren't home when I tried to call for it, but I would rather make your recipe because I already know I like it.
That sounds so good and easy! I'm going to make it tomorrow. I love food that makes your house smell soooo good.
By the way-
the picture looks good. That must be with you 50 mm .... I want one!
That is my favorite dessert ever! I have been thinking of it a ton lately, this morning as a matter of fact. My mother-in-law makes it and I have been since the day I tried it. It's 10:00 p.m., not too late to start it, is it?
:)
Post a Comment