Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Moemarsaw


Has any else noticed that the French don't really speak phonically? I mean, sometimes they continue speaking when they have already run out of letters in a word, and sometimes they leave of whole bunch of letters unspoken as if they are silent or something. Take, for instance, Mont de Marsan, the place Brennan left this week. A few months ago Dave and I went to Island in the Sky to take this picture for a photography class I was taking. By the way, this is an arch you still need to see, Michelle. While we were there we met a nice young man who was, as it turned out, French. When he told us he was from France I said, "Oh, we have a son living in France." His face lit up and he said, "Where?" "O.K., I'm not sure I'm pronouncing it right." I replied. And then I gave it my best shot. "Mont Day Mar Son?" I watched a puzzled look come over his face and he said, "Spell it?" So I did. "M.o.n.t. d.e. M.a.r.s.a.n" "Oh!!" He exclaimed. "Moemarsaw" Or at least that's what it sounded like to me. I didn't ask him to repeat it. But it's all O.K. Brennan has moved to Pau - which I'm sure is pronounced Pow?

2 comments:

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Why haven't we seen those pictures of Brennan's mission before? Are they new?

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

The reason they talk so funny is because they all have stuffy noses and surely, some type of fungal infection of the mouth.