Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pinhook Fire and Miner's Basin

When you live in the desert, the mountains near you are pretty important. Actually, mountains are pretty important whether you live in the desert or not. But our mountains, the LaSals, have always been a nice sanctuary when the heat rises over 100 degrees and doesn't even cool down at night. So when we saw the smoke rising over those mountains a few weeks ago we all watched with dismay. The above picture is what is left of Pinhook Draw. Drew did a History Fair project on the Pinhook Battle, which happened in this draw, and went all the way to the National History Fair in Washington DC with it. It's a different place now, but it will come back. Those forests always do.
We took a quick trip to Miner's Basin this weekend with Jill, Kenny and Aiden to see how close the fire got to a group of trees that have some significance to our family. The trees were safe, whew! You can see some of the burned area off in the distance, but Miner's Basin was just as beautiful as ever.

3 comments:

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Good to see you got it figured out, and up and running! I expect to see your promised daily posts!

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

I am Jill neighbor and I just read on her blog that you are blogging. that is great I don't think my mom would even know how so I am proud of you for jumping on board and doing something you haven't done before. Ruby
( beautiful pictures by the way)

Ellen James said...

Oh my goodness, I love your blog! And, I'm so excited you are going to post every day!! Someone who is really serious...finally. Hey, if you get up to Miner's Basin again, will you take a picture of my tree for me? Last time we were there was when we had carved it, so I don't have a picture of it, um, whatever you call it...aged?

Check out my blog today, a super funny picture of Jill (and cute of Kimbrey and Brennan).

Love ya!