Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year From A Nice Mormon Mom . . Or A Serial Killer

I had to take a new passport picture in order to renew my concealed weapon's permit and since it IS for a concealed weapon's permit that has already expired, so time is clicking away here, and since the one thing that has been holding me up in renewing it has been getting a passport quality picture taken, I just decided yesterday to have Drew take on. In my pajamas. Without any makeup or even my hair fixed. Because at the moment it just didn't matter to me. But then I looked at it. WOW, I look like I'm being booked into prison - this is what my mug shot would look like.

And I decided they probably wouldn't renew my concealed weapon's permit if I sent in a passport photo where I looked like a serial killer, I might be having a mug shot TAKEN. So I tried again this morning. After I got ready for church. A little bit better, I think.

Preparing my Young Women's lesson today, and waxing philosophical, I came up with a list of 32 things I have learned - or relearned - this year. I'm sure there are more. It's been a learning year. But here are the 32:

Thirty Two Things I learned (or relearned) this year

  1. Any T.V. series that starts out good enough to actually watch will degenerate into something too raunchy to watch by the third season.

  2. Books are where it's at and there are still a plethora of oh-so-good ones out there

  3. Grandchildren make the world go 'round

  4. Adult children are pretty fun, too

  5. The second Sherlock Holmes movie is every bit as good as the first one.

  6. I hope they make a third, as long as Robert Downey Jr is still playing a hot Sherlock Holmes.

  7. Whether the new “Twilight” movies are mind numbingly, off the charts stupid is not debatable to me. The midnight premier is a fun night out with friends and makes up for any shortcomings the movie may have.

  8. Leggins are not pants.

  9. PINTREST! Where have you been all my life :)

  10. Scarfs – I love them!

  11. Ugg boots are aptly named. Ugg!

  12. The Church is true. And so is the Book of Mormon. And Temples. And the prophet . . .

  13. Beehives make me laugh.

  14. Watching Sponge Bob really DOES make you “stupider” - as Dalen predicted

  15. There is always, ALWAYS someone out there worse off that I am

  16. People really CAN change

  17. A camera is a sentimentalist's best friend.

  18. Taking pictures in RAW plus JPEG solves all my photography problems – except the blurry ones

  19. Introversion is genetic, and I'm O.K. with that.

  20. An hours walk every morning is the best way to start your day

  21. Numbers are cold and incomprehensible.

  22. Words, on the other hand, are warm and comfortable

  23. Added to my bucket list this year is be in a mall to witness to a flash mob. OR, to be IN a flash mob! Now that would be cool ;)

  24. The “Ladder To Adventure”, just behind Grandpa's shop, will take you to a magical world of imagination

  25. Christmas is best with a house bursting at the seams with people you love

  26. The best days are those days in which you never get dressed – just hunker down and wear your pajamas all day.

  27. Disappointment is hard, but faith and hope will always see you through

  28. It's hard to let go of an old year – even a challenging year – and start a new one

  29. Even so, 2011 looks better from my rear view mirror

  30. I although I do look older than I did when my concealed weapon's permit was taken five years ago – I look better when I fix my hair and make up. I was never really sure about this before.

  31. 9:00 church really is the best!

  32. “Behold, my joy if full, yea, my heart is brim with joy” Alma 26:11

4 comments:

mx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Sorry deleted comment was a goof up.

-The chucky doll is creepy. Who had that just lying around?
-We too are loving the amazing December temperatures.
-You really do look beautiful before AND after makeup (though I know you'll never agree) Definately would be the best looking mug shot I'd ever seen.
-And though I agree that 9:00 church is the best (so glad you are back to that for future visits home) our 1:00 church today went amazing well. Both boys went to their new classes with no complaints and we made it through sacrament without leaving once. It's gonna be a good year!

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

I have to agree with Kimbrey, both are good photos of you, and of course you look great in both. Neither looks anything like a mugshot.
We, too are on a 9:00 church schedule, and while I hate getting up that early, it's nice to have a whole day left when church is over.
I don't know anything about shhoting RAW...can you teach me?
I love you and hope this is the best year yet.

Moab Cozzens said...

Jill, sure I'll teach you. It's easy, just set your camera to RAW :) Love you, too.
Kimbrey, it was a nice, cute doll until Darleen and Ellen turned her into a Chucky doll. Poor thing :) But she made our day pretty entertaining. Love you :)